Local SEO: Why It’s Important, and How to Use It
Local SEO is, in basic terms, using keywords and data that include local information about your city and address. It sounds simple, but location-specific search engine optimization can make a remarkable difference in your marketing strategy…depending on your circumstances. Let’s find out more.
Target Queries and Know Your Local Needs
Local SEO, despite its growing importance, is still associated with small, local businesses that depend on their communities for many of their customers. Larger, more industrial B2B companies are left wondering if they need to pay any attention to these practices at all: Many prefer “national” SEO B2B marketing campaigns and remain unsure about local efforts. We suggest two methods to help make your decision easier.
First, think about your positioning and sales data. How many sales and customers are you bringing in from your city or state? How many local opportunities are there to expand your business? If your supply chain management doesn’t allow for many local opportunities, you may not need to spend much time on SEO; but if it does, there is your new business growth opportunity.
Second, take a look at your common target queries and current keywords. Are they bringing up many local results? Google is so in love with local search engine optimization at the moment that even innocuous search terms can turn out a SERP that’s half localized results. If your target queries are bringing in plenty of local results, you should take a slice of that pie by including local information in your SEO.
Down to the Details: Do You Need Local SEO Right Now?
Let’s drill down a little further and take a look at several situations that indicate a need for localized SEO practices in your marketing. Here are the top warning signs you may run into:
- Machine Shops: Because machine shops and other repair facilities tend to rely heavily on local business, local search engine optimization is necessary for effective marketing. This is one of the most obvious cases.
- Custom Forging: Custom forging tends to rely heavily on the needs of individual clients, which makes both local and national SEO important to your efforts. A combination of both is often the most effective.
- Packaging and Shipping: Clients looking for packaging and shipping typically include a lot of local terms in their searches, so tap into this market with rigorous localized SEO.
- Practice: If you are starting a new SEO strategy and want to begin at the ground level, local search engine optimization projects are a great way to start. Large companies may also prefer local campaigns because they can often be implemented very quickly.
- Google: As we mentioned, Google really likes local SEO. If you are looking for a general ranking boost and haven’t paid any attention to localized SEO, it’s time to include it. This is a great way to tap into the long tail of searchers.
What are Best Practices?
We don’t want to throw too many suggestions your way all at once, but here are a few important best practices:
- Keywords: Certain keywords should be optimized with “local signals” like adding “in <your city>” onto a typical keyword phrase, like “pallet recycling in Austin”.
- Site Tags: Ideally, your address should be tagged in all the title page metadata on your site. Domain and metadata SEO is particularly important for local search engine optimization.
- Profiles: Fill out all your business profiles, especially those associated with Google (My business listings, etc.), including all your address and contact information. This will help results show up in a greater variety of searches.
- Make Sure Your Information Agrees: Your address, contact information, and city name should all be formatted the same, spelled the same, and generally look the same, no matter where you use it. Updates should affect all local SEO.
- Research: Take a look at the newest local search engine ranking factors to find what works – and what doesn’t.
Start optimizing local SEO for your business by shaking hands with us online. We would love to guide your business to growth using proven SEO methods. Download our step by step guide to start implementing proven strategies today.